Geoff is a partner in the Corporate and Commercial team and is the head of Meyer Vandenberg’s Government Advisory Team.
He has significant experience advising government, commercial, and not-for-profit clients, including those in heavily regulated sectors.
Geoff’s approach is to focus on clients, develop a deep understanding of their business and operating environment and to add value by providing advice that assists them to achieve their goals.
Geoff specialises in corporate and commercial law including drafting and negotiating contracts, intellectual property law, privacy, competition and consumer-protection law, telecommunications and IT law, government and administrative law, drafting legislation and electronic health law.
Geoff is a registered trade mark attorney. He is recognised by clients and peers in the current Best Lawyers – Australia for commercial law, was awarded Best Trade Mark Attorney in Canberra for 2016, and was a finalist in the 2016 Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year award for government law.
Geoff specialises in:
- Drafting and negotiating contracts
- Intellectual property
- Telecommunications and information technology law
- Privacy law
- Competition (trade practices) and consumer law
- Corporate and commercial law
- Government and administrative law
- Electronic health law
- Drafting primary and subordinate legislation
Geoff’s experience includes:
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of contracts for private sector, government and not-for-profit clients, including in the context of commercial deals, funding agreements, procurement and the implementation of government programs.
- The identification, protection and exploitation of intellectual property. Geoff has experience in the clearance, registration, prosecution, management, licensing, and enforcement of trade marks. He also advises on intellectual property disputes, copyright, domain names, confidential information and the IP aspects of corporate and government transactions, including procurement, tendering and contracting projects.
- Advising on privacy issues for government and private sector clients. As part of his privacy work, Geoff has advised on the establishment of a statutory privacy regime for a significant new Commonwealth program.
- Significant work in the telecommunications and IT fields, both from a commercial and regulatory perspective. Geoff has advised on a wide range of competition and consumer law issues, including the Competition and Consumer Act implications of proposals and conduct, access disputes, ACCC investigations, regulatory issues and wholesale disputes.
- Advising on and helping draft Bills and subordinate legislation. Geoff has a unique understanding of the public sector environment gained from a number of long-term secondments with the Commonwealth which have included significant experience in developing primary and subordinate legislation and working with agency teams responsible for implementing programs.
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Hons) Australian National University
- Graduate Certificate in Trade Mark Law University of Technology Sydney
- Graduate Diploma in Business Administration Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts Deakin University
- Australian Capital Territory
- High Court of Australia
- Registered Trade Mark Attorney
Affiliations and Memberships
- ACT Law Society
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand