Alisa resolves legal problems affecting property and construction projects.
With over 15 years’ experience working in the Canberra and region property industry, she has the technical expertise, commercial nous and strong connections necessary to get you the solution you need to move past a dispute.
Alisa always prefers to keep the deal or project viable whilst preserving relationships and maintaining your privacy, and usually, this means resolution through negotiation or cost-effective alternative dispute resolution. But after many years in the industry, she is keenly attuned to those circumstances (or opponents) where swift and decisive litigation is the best or only way to get the result you need, and her team of litigators are ready to gear up quickly if your matter requires it.
In her spare time, Alisa supports the local community as Vice President of The Canberra North Bowling and Rugby Union Club (‘the RUC’).
Alisa is the lead partner of the Property Industry Group.
- Town planning advice, including applications for review in the ACAT and NSW Land & Environment Court
- Property tax issues and land valuation disputes, including challenging government decisions
- Problems arising out of land acquisitions and development agreements
- Construction contract administration, whether assisting superintendents make key decisions on large commercial projects, or helping residential owners navigate their new role as principal on a building site.
- Construction disagreements, whether related to delay, defects, variations, or payment, including security of payment adjudications and enforcement
- Enforcement of lease obligations
- Unit/strata title problems or disputes
- Industrial relations / enterprise bargaining processes and disputes
- Employment law issues
- Dealing with the ABCC and other construction industry regulators
- Occupational health and safety issues, including prohibition notices and prosecutions.
- Masters in Construction Law— Melbourne University
- Lecturer – Construction Law— University of Canberra
- Teacher – Building Contract Law and associated subjects — Canberra Institute of Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Australian National University
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws – Australian National University
- Master Builders Australia ACT Professional of the Year 2017
- Society of Construction Law Award for Construction Law 2013
Memberships and positions
- Society of Construction Law
- Australian Institute of Building
- Building Dispute Practitioners Society
- Master Builders Association (corporate member)
- Housing Industry Association (corporate member)
- National Association of Women in Construction
- ACT Law Society
- The Street Theatre – board member (Vice President)
- With Great Power There Must Also Come Great Responsibility: Reining in Unbridled Expert Determinations (2017) 28 ADRJ 196 (Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal)
- Fair play on the building site: How extending unfair contract term protections to small businesses will impact construction projects (2015) 31 BCL 365 (Building and Construction Law Journal)
- Is your house a work of art? An update on the law relating to copyright in architectural drawings
- Is your unconditional bank guarantee really unconditional?