Harry’s expertise as a dispute resolution professional ensures that he pursues alternative dispute resolution methods as well as litigation to provide clients with timely and cost-effective results.
He ensures client input at all stages of the litigation process, and clients value his ‘easy to work with’ style and strong negotiation skills. Using this approach, Harry is able to achieve beneficial outcomes consistent with our clients’ expectations.
Harry is one of only a few Canberra lawyers to have completed the Insolvency Education Program with ARITA. He has acted on behalf of receivers and managers, voluntary administrators, liquidators, and trustees in bankruptcy over a wide range of matters, in both litigious and non-litigious matters, and is a past Deputy Chair of the Australian Law Council Insolvency Law Committee (ACT Chapter).
Harry also has experience in the operation of the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth), and the various Building and Construction Industry (Security of Payment) Acts, along with experience in building and construction and strata title disputes.
Before joining Meyer Vandenberg, Harry worked as a senior lawyer in two national law firms and managed the litigation practice of a local Canberra firm. Preceding this, he ran multiple retail businesses in Canberra for many years. This experience provides a foundation for Harry in understanding the real world needs of our small to medium commercial customers.
Harry’s areas of expertise are:
- Commercial disputes
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Bankruptcy and insolvency
- Debt recovery
- Director and shareholder disputes
- Corporations law and corporate governance
- Commercial lease disputes
- Building and construction disputes
Harry’s significant achievements include:
- A successful outcome for a Canberra building client against a national building company in a large commercial building dispute matter involving formal commercial arbitration procedures.
- Successful prosecution of a Federal Court of Australia claim in a multimillion-dollar dispute involving multiple Australian private companies with international client controls, including a successful defence of an appeal in the Full Federal Court of Australia.
- Significant success rate (90% +) in actions brought on behalf of corporate liquidators in respect of preferential payment claims, claims against Directors for breaches of Corporations Act duties and obligations, and recovery of funds for liquidators and insolvent companies.
- Bachelor Degree in Law, University of New England
- Master’s Degree in Law (with Merit), The Australian National University
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Australian National University
- Bachelor Degree in Economics, Monash University
- Advanced Certificate in Insolvency, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA) / University of Technology Sydney, 2012
- ACT Supreme Court
- High Court of Australia
Affiliations and Memberships
- ACT Law Society
- Law Council of Australia Insolvency Law Committee
- Australian Restructuring and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Building and Construction Industry (Security of Payment) Act (ACT), A Practical Guide – Master Builders Association – 2018
- Ethical Dilemmas – ACT Law Society – 2018
- Legal Overview of Managing Records in a New Information Landscape – Department of Defence – 2018