Greg is a Special Counsel in the firm’s Dispute Resolution practice.
Having been a Partner with Meyer Vandenberg for many years, his early experience in developing a practice in medical and professional negligence, health law and risk prevention has been pivotal in securing his reputation as a successful litigator and dispute resolution professional.
Greg specialises in commercial litigation, with a focus on insolvency, FOI, building, construction and administrative law. He has been instrumental in developing the firm’s strata management practice into one of the largest in Canberra.
Greg’s approach has always been to gain a complete appreciation of the problem by identifying the underlying issues. Once these are understood, an effective and successful solution can be determined.
Greg is a keen cyclist and maintains strong connections with community organisations. He held the position of Independent Chair of the Master Builders Association Appeals and Disciplinary Board, lectures at ACAN and ANU and was previously the Managing Chairman of Hartley Lifecare, an organisation that assists disabled children and adults with accommodation and respite care.
For many consecutive years, Doyles Guide has recognised Greg Brackenreg as a leader in the ACT market for commercial litigation, dispute resolution and insolvency.
Greg’s areas of expertise are:
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Freedom of Information
- Administrative and public law
- Debt recovery
- Corporations law and corporate governance
- Property law and leasing
- Regulatory compliance, particularly AUSTRAC
Greg’s significant achievements with the firm include:
- Leading the litigation arising from the appeal by the Canberra Airport Group of the approval won by DFO Canberra to develop its Canberra shopping centre in Fyshwick. The basis of the challenge concerned whether construction of a bulk goods retail centre on the site was consistent with the Territory Plan. The litigation saw challenges in the Administrative Appeal Tribunal, the ACT Supreme Court and Court of Appeals, and involved the multiple and complex issues of administrative law, construction of planning instruments and legislation, use of land purposes for retail and industrial zoning, retail hierarchies, logistics, traffic management and economic factors.
- Advising on a litigation matter involving the purchase of Stepping Stone’s childcare centres by the early learning service G8 Education. G8 Education had agreed to purchase four childcare centres from Stepping Stones but did not complete the sales for two of those centres. While damages are normally claimable in this type of matter, in this case proceedings were commenced on the basis of repudiation of obligations. An expedited hearing was obtained with an optimal outcome achieved for the client.
- Acting for Independent Property Group and Ray White Strata Manager in a number of litigation matters. This has included strata title matters such as rights of title, the recovery of levies and fees and governance issues.
- Managing efficient debt recovery legal services for leading factoring agencies including Australian Receivables, Waterman Receivables Management and Credit Corp. This process includes issuing letters of demand and default judgments before following up with enforcement actions such as garnishing wages, declaring bankruptcy and winding-up actions.
- Acting for the administrator and eventual liquidator of Australia’s largest court transcribing service. Greg advised on the course of administration, on asset realisation and employment issues in order to assist and facilitate the transition of the company’s transcription services and eventual sale of the business as a going concern.
- Being appointed by the ASC to assist Robert Anderson QC in his inquiry into doping allegations within the Australian Institute of Sport’s cycling program. The coordination and collection of a large number of sworn witness statements was required as well as assistance given to the QC in both preparing and presenting the report.
- Bachelor of Laws Australian National University
- Australian Capital Territory
- High Court of Australia
Affiliations and Memberships
- ACT Law Society
- Independent Chair of the Master Builders Association Appeals and Disciplinary Board