Archie is Meyer Vandenberg’s Chair and is recognised as one of Canberra’s most experienced commercial lawyers.
He is responsible for ensuring the provision of consistently high-quality advice throughout the practice and has broad-ranging legal expertise.
Archie believes that an understanding of what clients want is critical to achieving excellence. His application of this approach has gained him a far-reaching respect among his peers and resulted in a loyal client base that includes some of the ACT’s largest corporate developers, investors and financial institutions.
Archie is an expert in commercial law, property development and building and construction law. He has been involved in the negotiation and delivery of numerous complex commercial projects and has extensive experience appearing as counsel in the ACT Supreme Court and the Federal Court of Australia. In 2014 Archie was named the Property Council ACT’s Property Professional of the Year, and in 2016 Archie was inducted to the Real Estate Institute of ACT Hall of Fame. Archie was named the Institute’s Solicitor of the Year’ in 2015, 2014 and 2013.
Archie’s areas of expertise are:
- Commercial law and contracting
- Property law and leasing
- Construction law
Archie’s significant achievements with the firm include:
- Acting for the landlord in relation to the development of a purpose-built facility for the Australian Federal Police. This involved the negotiation of clear specifications for the premises such as inclusions and the construction schedule.
- Acting for the landlord in negotiations with Defence regarding an agreement to lease and fit-out premises in Mitchell. The matter involved negotiating early termination arrangements with existing tenants and ensuring that the leasing process was consistent with Defence procurement guidelines.
- Providing advice in relation to the Canberra International Sports and Aquatic Centre development, a multifaceted project which involved the purchase of the land, the development of a tender to build the sports complex and, once this was won, drafting contract documents relating to funds generated through a $10 million grant.
- Advising PrimeSpace Property Investment Ltd in regard to its acquisition of Canberra House: a legal process spanning almost two years and requiring extensive due diligence, the acquisition crown lease and a sublease from separate sellers, and Supreme Court proceedings regarding a caveat lapse.
- Advising on the purchase of APIS Consulting. This involved administrator negotiation and advising on the structure and finance for the purchase.
- Bachelor of Economics/Laws (Hons) Australian National University
- Australian Capital Territory
Affiliations and Memberships
- ACT Law Society
- Member – Master Builders Association (ACT)
- Fellow – Australian Property Institute ACT Division
- Member – Canberra Business Chamber