Alisa resolves legal disputes.
With over 15 years’ experience as a litigator, she has the technical expertise, commercial nous and strong connections necessary to get you the solution you need to move past a dispute.
Alisa works hard to keep the deal or project viable while preserving relationships and maintaining your privacy. Often this involves negotiation or cost-effective alternative dispute resolution. But she is also keenly attuned to those circumstances (or opponents) where swift and decisive litigation is needed. When courts are the best option, her team will act quickly to get your matter before a judge.
Our team of litigators represents government, large and small businesses, and individuals across the full range of commercial disputes. Alisa’s passion is resolving property and construction disputes, using both her extensive networks in our local property industry and her exceptional technical expertise.
In her spare time, Alisa supports the local community as President of The Canberra North Bowling and Rugby Union Club (‘the RUC’).
- General commercial disputes, including breach of contract, debt recovery and director or shareholder disputes
- Problems arising out of land acquisitions and development agreements
- Town planning advice, including applications for review in the ACAT and NSW Land & Environment Court
- Construction contract administration, whether assisting superintendents make key decisions on large commercial projects, or helping residential owners navigate their new role as principal on a building site.
- Construction disagreements, whether related to delay, defects, variations, or payment, including security of payment adjudications and enforcement
- Enforcement of lease obligations
- Unit/strata title problems or disputes
- Property disputes including mortgage recovery, breach of lease or occupancy agreement and
- Business and property tax issues and land valuation disputes, including challenging government decisions
- Consumer law and competition, including regulatory investigations
- Bankruptcy and insolvency including examination hearings, seizure of property and attachment of earnings.
- Professional negligence
- Industrial relations/enterprise bargaining processes and disputes
- Employment law issues
- Dealing with the ABCC and other construction industry regulators
- Occupational health and safety issues, including prohibition notices and prosecutions.
- Disputed estates
- Masters in Construction Law— Melbourne University
- Lecturer – Construction Law— University of Canberra
- Teacher – Building Contract Law, Contract Administration, Resolving Business Disputes and associated subjects — Canberra Institute of Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Australian National University
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws – Australian National University
- Master Builders Australia ACT Professional of the Year 2017
- Society of Construction Law Award for Construction Law 2013
Memberships and positions
- Society of Construction Law
- Australian Institute of Building
- Building Dispute Practitioners Society
- Master Builders Association
- Housing Industry Association
- National Association of Women in Construction
- ACT Law Society
- The Canberra North Bowling and Rugby Union Club (The RUC) (President)
- With Great Power There Must Also Come Great Responsibility: Reining in Unbridled Expert Determinations (2017) 28 ADRJ 196 (Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal)
- Fair play on the building site: How extending unfair contract term protections to small businesses will impact construction projects (2015) 31 BCL 365 (Building and Construction Law Journal)
- Is your house a work of art? An update on the law relating to copyright in architectural drawings
- Is your unconditional bank guarantee really unconditional?